Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Peonies are Coming, the Peonies are Coming!

I know I have mentioned this before, but one of my favorite times of the year is the month of May when the Peonies bloom. Just like Halloween, Peonies hold a nostalgic estate in my heart from memories of childhood. Growing up our yard was long, flat and without a fence. Coincidentally, our neighbors yard was long, flat and without a fence. The only demarcation between the two yards was a row of voluptuous (can we all agree that Peonies are the Marilyn Monroe of the flower world) and fragrant Peony bushes.


Many memorable Spring days and evenings were spent between the two yards and with the family next door, the Burts. These memories were a time in childhood with no realization of the heavy weight that life can hand you. Every time I see these flowers they evoke those feelings in my soul. Maybe one Mother's Day, I will awake to a row of Peonies across our front yard...hint, subtle hint!



3 comments:

Jules said...

What great photos! I especially like the ant in the second picture - I love peonies too, but don't enjoy the ants!

josie said...

I love the second picture also. I'd love to download and turn it into notecards...

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful peonies! Love the story behind your fondness for them too! A.Vonnie.