Thursday, June 17, 2010

Copycat

So this post is a copy of a post from one of my favorite blogs, Whatever. When I read the lightning bug post, I thought to myself, hello, duh, this is what Summer is all about. And, didn't I catch lightning bugs with the Burt boys year after year. Oh yah, hasn't your son grown increasingly excited each night the lightning bugs appear.?.

So here we are waiting on the front porch swing for the lightning bugs to make their entrance. Actually, we were watching the neighbor boy and his remote control car almost cause numerous motor vehicle accidents.

Finally, when the lightning bugs started lightning, Charlotte and I created a little habitat in our jar. She is picking grass.


Examining the bugs. I have to admit, I also wanted to catch lightning bugs, because I wanted to try to snap some cool pics of the bugs as they lit. But two things, lightning bugs aren't easy to photograph. Number two, they don't seem to glow quite as much when they are stuck in a jar that smells of salad dressing remnants.
Reluctantly posing when asked by Mom.


Letting them go.

As I write this, in my backyard there is a light show. I tried to take pics but they didn't turn out, and plus I was all sorts of Silence of the Lambs, infrared light, creeped out being in the pitch dark. Maybe this happens in every back yard, but literally, the lightning bugs are twinkling like Christmas lights on a tree. Too beautiful.



No comments: