Friday, July 9, 2010

Everyday and the Fourth

I decided to sit and take a break and post some random thoughts and happenings. I have been craving coffee drinks like a mad woman. Specifically, Moo-Lattes from the DQ. But to save money and spare some calories, I have been making this smoothie. Not quite as thick as store bought coffee smoothies, but it satisfies my cravings. Today I added a few dashes of cinnamon.

Starting on Monday, David starts a new job. A Monday-Friday, 8-5 kind of job. I am expecting him to work lots of extra hours, but it also means more evenings at home together as a family. I won't have to do dinner and bedtime by myself all the time. It also means I will have to make some big adjustments to my daytime routine. No longer can I leave the kids at home with their dad while I run errands or get my haircut. A BIG change, but good for our family.



On the fourth, I felt like Martha when I made this Flag cake for my little family. As I post this picture, Joe is sitting next to me, and says, "that was a good cake Mom". I snapped more photos of the cake than I did the kids. We spent the Fourth at home - just the four of us. Shooting off smoke bombs, throwing Snappers, and a few simple night fireworks for Joe. We cooked burgers on the grill, corn on the grill, and potato salad. I made this potato salad where you soak the taters in red wine vinegar after you cook them but before you add the mayo/dijon dressing. Oh my, cream cheese and stars. That is my new, one and only potato salad recipe.

Hanging out on the Fourth. Charlotte loves Snappers.


Maybe I took so few pictures of the kids, because I would stress out about them using Snappers, let alone them being around smoke bombs and Black Cats.

Now for my one and only son, who desperately wanted a "baby brutter", he will be a big brother to two little sisters.
My break should be ending soon. Time to work on dinner, and clean for the weekend.

5 comments:

Margo said...

Ryanne, where did you get the potato salad recipe??? It sounds yummy!

From the Dotte said...

I found it on Tasty Kitchen http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/salads/the-best-american-style-potato-salad/

How is PA? I miss working with you.

Margo said...

thanks! i have to make that soon, i can't stop thinking about it. PA is good, life is a lot slower here than living downtown KC. i miss chatting with ya on the weekends at work about food and other fun stuff!

Margo said...

ps-i made that asian salad from PW yesterday and thought of you...and then i ate like half of it!

Katie Stangler said...

Another girl! Congrats Ryanne! You are such a great mom. I feel bad when I look at all of the awesome things you do for your kids. Those are some lucky kids :) Miss you!