Wednesday, December 29, 2010

She Waits for No One



Charlotte, tonight, you desperately wanted to give your sister a bath. You wouldn't wait for me to clear off the dinner table. You carried the baby's tub into the living room, and began to undress her and take off her diaper. You are such a tremendous helper and I am totally awestruck by your intuition and anticipation. But at the same time, I was seriously worried that you just might pick up your sister and put her in the tub yourself.


Tonight, I walked upstairs to tuck the kids into bed, and I wished I had my camera. I stood in the doorway of Joe's room and just stared at my children, mentally freezing this picture in my brain. Joseph and Charlotte were sitting at the head of his bed with their backs to the wall and their legs straight out in front of them. Joseph was wearing his pajama pants, no shirt and his Daniel Boone hat while holding a nerf gun, poised for attack. Charlotte sat next to him, attentively flossing her teeth. If I had ran downstairs to grab the camera it wouldn't have been the same. So this is my way of never forgetting.


No comments: