Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Instant Gratification Floozy

I have to start out by saying even though I think a few parts of The Office have become kind of predictable, tonight was a really funny episode. I actually can't wait for summer re-runs, because I have missed a few episodes the past two or three weeks. Second, a quick Emporia State update: ESU lost to Humboldt St. 0-3 in 7 innings. They play tomorrow at 10am to stay alive. Shelbe, I will be thinking about you guys while I am in my computer class. Heck, now that I am thinking about it I might pull up the game and minimize it on my screen and get updates that way.
Now to address the title of this entry. I think I have a problem. I have become addicted to buying things for my son and the baby. But especially for Joe. And, I have become especially infatuated with toys. Toys like, animal figures, dinosaur figures, trains, and now I really want to get Joe a sand box. I am just biding my time. Over the past two weeks I have really wanted to get Joe started with the wooden railway system of Thomas the Train. You know, to help build and hone fine motor skills. Not to mention the fact he becomes so excited every time he sees or hears a train. But what boy doesn't? So I did a lot of window shopping on-line and read lots of reviews and decided on a good starter set for Joe. A set that would hold his attention, but I didn't blow a lot of money on if he didn't like it. Well, I told myself to wait until Christmas and that would be the perfect gift. All I can say is, "folks, it is the middle of May and I obviously can't wait that long." The set I wanted was $5 cheaper at Target vs Toys R Us, and if that wasn't a sign to go ahead and buy it, I don't know what is. I at least waited until Joe went down for his nap before getting it out and setting it up. Here it is all set up, before Joe knew about it. David and I had a lot of fun playing with it, and it is one of the simplest sets they offer.
Here is Joe first thing after his nap, checking out his train set. He immediately loved it, but Joe can become quite attached to toys initially, and then over a week or two he will forget about it. Some how I don't think this will be the case with Thomas. At least I know that I will keep playing with it. Plus there are so many additions you can purchase to build a whole system. I can't wait. Here in lies my problem/addicition.

Here is Joe watching the Emporia State game with Thomas at his side.

Again, after dinner, Joe loving his train. Granted, Joe loves the train like I knew he would, but I think my addiction has become the satisfication of being able to buy these "things" for my son. I am not sure if I should admit this, but I gain satisfaction of building a big and various supply of educational, quality toys that allow Joe to use his brain, instead of a noise making, button pushing toy. Not that all of those types of toys are bad, but hey, batteries cost a lot of money. I have to add the fact that Joe loved the two trees that were included in the set almost as much as he loved the train. One of the first things he got excited about was the trees, and wanted to take them outside. He is more like his father everyday.

No comments: