Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Favorite Salad

I don't really have a favorite salad per say.  I have five to seven that I love, and consistently make - depends on my cravings.  But this salad is frequently seen at our dinner table, and I often dumb it down (no shallots or pecans, because I am lazy) and it still tastes fantastic. The recipe comes from this book that my Mom gave me for my birthday.  Lots of inspiration and a fun book to just sit and read (but I am the type of person who recreationally reads cookbooks).   Another plus, this salad is great in the winter, and I love the goat cheese soaked in the dressing.

Again, recipe from REAL SIMPLE Celebrations

1/4 cup fresh orange juice (I use whatever OJ is on hand)
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 heads Bibb or Boston lettuce (or substitute 2 5oz bags of mixed salad greens) (I love butter leaf lettuce)
2 navel oranges, peeled and sliced into thin circles (grapefruit slices are good too)
3/4 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled (don't skip, you'll regret it)

Combine first six ingredients, which can be prepped ahead, cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble salad.  Combine remaining ingredients together and toss with dressing.

A little trick I learned from watching the Barefoot Contessa - if you are preparing your salad ahead of time,  set the lettuce aside, and place remaining ingredients in the bottom of your bowl, and then place your lettuce on top. Cover and store, (usually several hours) until ready to serve. That way you only dirty one dish, and have only one bowl to carry to your soiree.

No comments: