Tuesday, January 6, 2009

SAVE HANDMADE

Alright girls, I know there are not very many who read this blog, so the few of us who do read need/must get the word out. In 34 days the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) will pass, placing astronomically expensive testing guidelines on childrens' toys. Of course I am all for safe childrens toys, but this act will wipe out all of the independent artists who create magical, nostalgic childrens toys. Simply stated, the many artists who create handmade items for children cannot afford the expensive testing required to sell their products to consumers. This act was created to make toys from China safer, but now will be wiping out many small businesses, and independent creators who have made and sold quality, safe and trustworthy toys for years and generations. Hillary, the CPSIA will even place these testing guidleines on stay at home moms who sew cloth diapers and sell them online. Josie, I am sure theswe guidelines will effect Cuppie Cake carriers, from whom we bought mei tais. I bought the kids several gifts from ETSY this year, and took such pride in giving individual, one of a kind gifts. I have already contacted my state represenative, which I have never, ever attempted to do in my life. I also went to change.org and voted for the ammending of CPSIA to be presented to the Obama administration. I promise to do all I can to SAVE the handmade toys that I not only love to buy and give to my children, but that inspire me to create things with and for my children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also have been upset by this. I LOVE the unique handmade things that I have purchased for the boys. Those items are the special ones that we will have in our house for years after they are grown. I hope that they can alter the restrictions, so as not to run out the little people and deny our ability to buy special things for our children! Damn the man Ryanne!