Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gettin' Busy @ 30

Just some pictures of Betsy. She is smiling at this point, I just haven't caught a good one with the camera.


This was Betsy last night. It was one of those moments where you keep telling yourself not to forget, to remember this moment and how they looked - forever. I didn't leave it to chance, I went and snatched the camera. Obviously, I didn't use the flash.


Now, I want to babble about myself. That's always fun, right?
Something I touched on in the last post, I have always wanted to be artistic and make beautiful things with my hands. But whenever I tried to create something beautiful, the "project" never turned out how I wanted. In fact, I rarely would finish anything, because I would be so disappointed in how things were turning out. Then I would assume I wasn't creative and give up. Usually, after Christmas, with all of the cleaning and reorganizing, I tend to obsess about my house and how I can make it more beautiful, comforting, or unique. Frankly, I am on a constant quest to make our house a HOME. For me, it seems to be a never ending evolving process. I found myself constantly perusing the internet for ideas and inspiration, which often turned into discontentment. Oooh, I want this, or I want my room to look this way, so I need to buy this.... I began creating a huge long list of "I WANTS". This is never, never a good thing. I knew this, and I know it is one of the most unhealthy states of mind. One day I stumbled upon this blog, and found many ah DIY projects, that really, really tickled my fancy. Ding, the light bulb turned on. If you want something, figure out how to make it yourself. Because even thought I had the "I WANTs" I also knew that the most beautiful and treasured things are not the ones purchased at Pottery Barn, but the ones with a story and/or sentimental value. Which leads me to my goal of learning to sew (and a few other hobbies) and creating 30 handmade items this year. Using inspiration and guidance from others who have traveled before me (via the internet), I know I can be artistic and create gifts, items, things, that I love and cherish and can give to others.



While I figure out how I am going to come about a sewing machine, I decided to learn how to crochet. Using You tube videos, I learned to crochet three basic stitches and crocheted a scarf. It turned out well, it is a coral pink color, I will picture it sometime, and I think I am going to give it to my little sister. It may be a little too pink for me. Now, I am working on crocheting a blanket for our bed. Using inspiration from this blanket, and trial and error of pairing colors that I gravitate towards (lately I am loving orange and I always love a pretty blue), this is my plan. To crochet a patchwork blanket using these colors, and using the above vintage fabric to accent the white crocheted patches and bring the colors together. I know, the fabric is very, well individual, but I am on a bit of a vintage, thrifty "kick" right now.
The trick is, I need to finish this project, even if I am half way through and not quite sure about the colors or the texture of the yarn, I need to see this one through. If I finish and don't like it then I can give it to the cat. She'll love it.

2 comments:

Katie S said...

Good for you Ryanne! I love your plan to be more crafty. I have been sewing a bunch (even selling stuff). It is not perfect, but it is personal. This is a new thing for me. I have my mom's 30 yr old sewing machine and, I too, watched you tube videos to learn how to thread it and to do simple stitches! Now I want to tackle learning how to read a pattern. I want to make things for my house like window treatments and pillows. I hope you finish your blanket...can't wait to see it! Betsy looks so pretty. Love the nighttime picture.

Josie said...

You can do it, mama. I have a super old (30 years plus!) sewing machine, too, that my mom passed down to me. I have been looking for someone to give it to now that I have a new one...

It's old and fussy, but you can't hurt it and it's a good one to experiment on. Let me know what you think.