Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On this dreary day

On this dreary day I thought some color might be nice. Although, I don't mind this balmy day, it only reminds me of Spring.

Today, I received "happy mail", a phrase coined by others. In my mailbox was the first of what I hope to be many fabric shipments.
I have no idea what I will do with them yet. Maybe accents on an apron, a pillow or tea towels. They are only remnants and half yard pieces, but they were purty, vintage and cheap and so I bought them. For now I have placed them on my entertainment center (which I call my mantel, b/c I have no fireplace, and would one day like an official mantel), for inspiration and because the colors make me so happy.



Then, to my friend Katie. I bought this book a few weeks ago, and other than perusing, have only fully read the first chapter. But, I am very excited to dive into it once I am done with birthday stuff, and the massive blanket I'm (attempting to) crochet. It seems to be geared towards the adult beginner, and starts from the basics, such as types of scissors, machine parts, troubleshooting, stitch length, practice projects, such as sewing a straight line on paper, and using all of your different stitches, etc. I feel like I will be taking a sewing course.
My Valentine bestowed a Michael's gift card upon me, so I think that tomorrow, the kids and I will take advantage of the predicted wonderful weather, and venture out. Enjoy this wonderful, neurotic Kansas weather.

4 comments:

Katie S said...

Oh..now I have to get that book. I LOVE the headband you made for Betsy. You are inspiring :) I have always wanted to order a bunch of fabric scraps, random ones, then force myself to make a project with them. Such a fun challenge. You need to check out www.littlebitfunky.com. It is a blog where she does a lot of original projects including 20 minute crafts. She is a little crazy, but I like some of the things that she makes. Check it out!

SherriM said...

Be sure and sign up for a Michaels Rewards card when you're there if you haven't already. Each week they have surprise specials that you are notified about by email. Fun. Enjoy your creative time.

Margo said...

You are getting so creative! I have had the creative bug also and have been doing tons of fun crafts. Blogs are the best places to find new craft ideas :)

Valerie said...

You realize that by posting this I drug my sewing machines (yes, both of them) out of the closet and set up shop in my guest room. I'm now bound and determined to get back into it. I sewed all through childhood and there is no reason I can't get back into it. Love the book idea. I might have to look into it. Thanks for the inspiration. Do you feel inspirational?? 'Cause you are! Hope going back to work next week goes well. You are such a great mom and nurse. My day is brighter because of you :)