Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Euleta Mae Hughes

I am not sure how to pay proper tribute to someone you love, or if I should even post this entry. But how can I not say anything and pretend like it never happened. Today my grandma passed away. I have always dreaded this day, but I must say there is a sense of relief to know that she isn't suffering anymore.
So three of my fondest memories of grandma are...well they are not specific memories, but grandma-like things she did when I was little.

1. She always popped me popcorn, and not microwave popcorn, but popcorn popped on the stove. But she had a special trick that made the popcorn taste like no other with little effort. She never washed the pot, and used just that pot for popcorn. I swear it was the best popcorn ever.
2. Whenever I stayed the night at her house, she always had grandpa bring home "long john" dough nuts on his way home from work. I always looked forward to those dough nuts. My absolute favorite dough nut to this day.
3. Last but not least, when I stayed the night she and I slept in the same bed, and we always slept "butt to butt". You know, back to back. For some reason I thought that was the funniest thing.

Well I just thought of one more, but this one is a specific memory. I am not sure how old I was maybe first or second grade, but I had a loose tooth, and grandma tied a string to that tooth and then to a doorknob and she slammed that door closed. Well we never found the tooth and I had to write a note to the tooth fairy explaining what happened.
As I am writing this I am thinking of so many memories. I love you grandma.
Love,
David, Ryanne, Joseph and Baby Girl

No comments: