Monday, October 13, 2008

Baby Mae Cooks Breakfast

Last night as we were driving back from the farm, I asked David, "what do I want to make this week?" As I put away my crock pot last night, I found my long lost waffle maker. So waffles from scratch it is. I found this recipe just this morning on All Recipes, and it is phenomenal. So filling and lots of texture. Sometimes when I eat waffles, I feel like I just swallowed air, but not these waffles. They are of the "stick to your ribs" variety.
But first, some pictures of my sweet baby girl. Still, such the cuddlebug. Joseph has resolved to call her Baby Mae. He can pronounce Charlotte just fine, and still calls her Baby Charlotte Mae. More often than not though he prefers to call her Mae or Baby Mae. Which may be what I start calling her.
Please ignore the forsaken land that is my kitchen.

I also like these waffles, because you can freeze the extras. Just for fun I added a bit of pumpkin pie spice, and then ate some pumpkin butter alongside these golden beauties.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
OAT WAFFLES
INGREDIENTS
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice


In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the milk, egg, oil and lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients and mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
Makes 2 servings

Making waffles can be so exhausting.




No comments: