Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Well today is October 1, 2008: our 3rd anniversary. We didn't go anywhere, and I haven't even made it out of my pajamas, but I did learn one piece of invaluable information. My husband has been holding out on me for three years. Well, really eight years if you consider how long we have been together. This morning, David made breakfast: eggs and sausage. Now this is a man, who on the rare occassion that he cooks, he throws together the most random of ingredients, and it usually yields something reminescent of a science experiment. With that being said, I can't remember the last time he cooked (because of the severity of my teasing when he did cook). And now he usually just whips up some cereal and milk. Hmmm, good. Getting back to my story, these eggs were absolutely gorgeous, moist, flavorful, fluffy and firm at the same time. My scrambled eggs (that I thought had vastly improved) were put to shame. I announced my retirement from egg making, now that I realized the full scope of his breakfast cooking capabilities.

So for the last 36 hours I have been marinating a brisket in a concoction of salty deliciousness to make for our anniversary lunch. Well, my oven temperature was "off" and it took about three times longer than I expected to cook the brisket. For lunch we ended up having ham and cheese sandwiches with cooked apples. But it was oh so worth it, because Joseph and I had brisket for dinner. And so this is my recipe of the week. Unfortunately I am not creative enough to write my own recipes, but I am good at finding flavorful recipes. So this one gets credited to The Pioneer Woman.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Ree Drummond


2 cans of Beef Consomme (look in the soup section)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
5 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbsp Liquid Smoke (BBQ sauce section)
1 10 lb beef brisket
Combine the first five ingredients in a large roasting pan. Place brisket in the marinade, fat side up. Cover tightly with foil. Marinate in refrigerator for 24-48 hours. When ready to cook, place pan, still covered in foil, into a 300 F oven. Cook brisket for approximately 40 minutes per pound.
When fork tender, transfer whole brisket to a cutting board. Remove the fat on top. Slice remaining brisket against the grain, and place slices back into the cooking liquid. Serve immediately, spooning the juice over the slices. BBQ sauce may be used. (Ryanne says, "you don't need it")
The awesome thing about this brisket is, that it makes tons of leftovers, depending on the size of your brisket. I used a two and half pounder, so that I could use it for two more meals this week. Stores well in the freezer too. Good for crowds. I love this brisket, it is my new "go to" if I am having people over, or if I need something easy to throw in the oven. Hope you enjoy.


1 comment:

Little Smiths said...

mmmmm I've been wanting a good briscuit recipie.... I can't wait to try it!