Wednesday, September 24, 2008

....And You Look Like One Too

What a good day to go to the zoo. Today, Joe and I headed to the zoo to meet up with our playgroup. Needless to say, Joe missed his buddies, and I missed my "mamas". It felt good to be back. Because there were five moms and eleven kids we didn't cover a lot of ground - only Africa. But the animals we did see were worth the trip and tantrums.
Don't know if you can see, but Joe is clutching his "white car" in his right hand. My heart paused every time we were near a fence, or walking over a bridge. To lose "white car" would have meant sure melt down.

Crazy meerkats basking in the sun.


This was so cool. You probably can't tell from the pic, but it felt like we were literally eating lunch with the giraffe in the background. He was so close.



Most of the boys were climbing on chairs to look at the giraffe and zebra. Not my Joseph, he was too busy eating.

The highlight of the day: the proud mama monkey. She literally came out of the woods of the exhibit, and sat on the cliffs. I think she was surveying the scene. Then, I think it was her and the dad, they brought the baby down to the glass, took it off of her back and sat it down right in front of us. Then she proceeded to nurse the baby and pick bugs from it's hair. I felt awestruck at the humaness of these creatures. Then the mama placed the baby on daddy's back and off they went.

At this point my heart was aching, and I had to get out of Africa and home to my little monkey: Charlotte.







2 comments:

Valerie said...

I am so sad I missed the zoo. The weather ended up being beautiful...too bad Allie and I came down with a serious case of the sniffles and pink eye...yes, I said pink eye. It was fun. Thankfully I'm pretty sure it was viral and it's mostly gone by today. Bummed that I couldn't meet you all. Although I'm sure everyone with children thanks me!! Glad to see pics. Miss Charlie is getting so big. I have a gift for you, although now I'm second guessing whether or not it will fit!!

Anonymous said...

That was a nice post. You write like a writer, and photograph like an illustrator. Maybe you should write a book...
We had a great day at the zoo, by the way. Can't wait to see you again!