Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Long Time

Feels like a long time since I have posted, but really it hasn't been. It was a fairly busy weekend for us. Saturday night, David and I went out with some of his softball buddies and their wives to Dave's and Buster's (usually not my type of scene). Although they do have Skee Ball and Air Hockey, which I love. I knew it was good for the two of us to go out, but the whole night my mind was laden with thoughts of baby girl. After all she is only one month old. Besides, who wants to be around a bunch of loud, drunk adults, when you could be cuddling a beautiful baby girl. I was thankful that my mom was babysitting the kids, or I probably wouldn't have gone.

Sunday, we headed to the Plaza Art Fair. That was a challenging outing for me. I felt very disorganized, and it wasn't a very infant friendly place. In hindsight it probably wasn't the best idea to take little girl down there, but I learned a lot. I only got to take three pictures, and here they are....this is Joseph in the Wonderscope tent

I know peditricians say not to use q-tips in kids' ears, but I have been cleaning out Joe's ears since he was itty bitty. Needless to say, he loves q-tips now. Don't know if you can tell, but he is using q-tips to paint. And, dipping them in water no less, one of his other favorite things to play with.


Two and half, and still has those chubby cheeks.



This is Monday, Joe motivating Charlotte through tummy-time. As you can guess she wasn't very happy. Note, Joe has placed his beloved (dirty) blanket on his sister. So sweet.


Since I posted last Thursday, I have received several smiles from baby girl. Usually morning time is her happiest time.
These are a week late. Since I could never get her to stare straight ahead I decided to photograph from the side. You have to work with your model, you know. She's oh, so pretty.
I thought this was funny, because I had a hell of time with the first sign because Joe kept taking it every time I propped it up. So I let him have the first sign and some crayons so he could color it. Well, as soon as he heard me trying to get the second picture there he was directly in front of the camera. After this picture I gave up.

RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Let me preface this recipe with a few comments. First of all, if I were just reading this recipe and had not seen it prepared on her show, I would think, eeww-yuck. But the cumin chicken and the creamy coleslaw compliment each other fabulously. Second, this is a very hearty and satisfying meal, all the while when eaten in the right proportions, it is also healthy. Last, there are a few short cuts that I took, that I don't think compromise the nutritional value of the meal.
A. I cook my chicken on a cast iron skillet on my stove with just a little bit of cooking spray. Make sure to pound the chicken to 1/2 inch thickness - this shortens the cooking time and keeps the chicken nice and moist.
B. I buy two bags of broccoli slaw at the grocery store instead of shredding the florets and carrots. Much easier and less dishes!
CUMIN CHICKEN
Ellie Krieger

Cooking spray
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (5 to 6 ounces each) pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Spray a grill or grill pan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil.
Combine cumin, salt and pepper and rub spice mixture evenly onto chicken breasts. Grill until grill marks have formed and chicken is cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side.
Remove from heat, let rest for 5 minutes, then slice into 1/2-inch thick slices. Serve over coleslaw, if desired.
CREAMY BROCCOLI COLESLAW
Ellie Krieger

1 cup lowfat Greek yogurt, or strained yogurt
1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/4 pounds broccoli stalks (from about 2 1/2 pounds broccoli bunches)
1 large or 2 medium carrots
If using regular yogurt, place it in a strainer lined with paper towel and set the strainer over a bowl. Let the yogurt drain and thicken for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place sunflower seeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt on a rimmed baking sheet and shake to combine. Toast seeds until aromatic, about 10 minutes. Cool and reserve.
Combine yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Whisk to incorporate and reserve.
Peel tough outer layer of broccoli stalks and trim off 1/4 inch from bottoms of stalks (should be about 3/4 of a pound. tender broccoli stalks remaining). Shred stalks in food processor, then shred carrots.
Combine shredded broccoli and carrots with dressing and toss to combine. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve.

Babies crying - gotta go!

No comments: