Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gymnastics

Not a lot of exciting adventures around here until today, when Joseph had his first gymnastics class, which really was his first time receiving orgainzed instruction from another adult. It was interesting. But first, I had my two week follow up appoinment yesterday, and everything seems to be fine. The surprising/good news, I have lost thirty lbs., and dieting has nothing to do with it. It was purely weight associated with carrying around baby girl - she is the sweetest little girl in the whole world. Before my appointment I took Charlotte to her doc's office just to check her weight, and she now weighs 10lbs 15oz, which means today she is probably tipping the scales at 11 lbs. So far she's gaining over an ounce a day. Not the best picture, but here she is in her first tub bath. What a good baby! She was kicked back and relaxed, even with Joe playing alongside the tub and splashing water everywhere and hauling bath toys in and out of her little tub.
Now for Joe's first gymnastics class. He didn't start crying until the organized stretching, at which time he began calling for daddy. I am sure I looked like "mother of the year" to all of the other parents. He followed the teacher's instructions probably 40% of the time, and often would say, "no, Joe do this..." and then proceed with either jumping or running or whatever he wanted to do at the time. Several times he seemed hesitant to participate, like jumping on the trampoline and jumping in the pit of blocks. A lot of the kids were like little monkeys, and seemed to have been exposed to this environment before. So I hope the next class is a little more productive for Joe.

Joe has become increasingly hyperactive, and prone to tantrums. I am sure this change has something to do with Charlotte, although he generally seems to care less if my attention is averted towards her. He constantly clings to daddy whenever we go somewhere, or I try to initiate an activity with him. I am not sure what to do. The answer is probably - there is not a lot I can do, except hope that this phase passes. But I so desperately want to play with him and hold his hand, and be the one he runs to - at least once in a while.
On the brighter side, I emailed Parents As Teachers today. I contacted our school district when Joe was maybe a year, and the program had been discontinued. Thank you to my siser in law, Sandy, who found an article that in the last six months the program has been reinstated. So Joe is eligible for another six months, and now Charlotte can benefit from the program.
This week ends David's time off. Not sure what we'll do tomorrow or Saturday, but Sunday we plan on going to my dad's farm for the day. I haven't been to the farm since I was 32 weeks pregnant with Joseph, at which point in the pregnancy I slept all the time. I can't wait for the endless quiet and fresh air.


1 comment:

Little Smiths said...

Linky for you :)
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531041