Monday, September 15, 2008

" " and ( )

Again, we have been hiding out at home for the past week or two. I have yet to venture out with both kids by myself, but I think that will happen tomorrow. We are going to my cousin's new house for lunch, and frankly I am excited about it. To travel with both kids, and do things "my way". Which bringing up "my way", being home with both kids in the evenings has gone fairly smoothly, and for the most part I am not stressed out, and enjoy being alone with both of my babies. With that being said, I am looking forward to this weekend. I think we are going to some type of "work picnic" of David's on Saturday. Then, as a family, we'll go to the Plaza Art Fair on Sunday. I love working weekends, but I do miss going to events around KC that occur on the weekends, which is all of them. It is funny that I say "miss going to events" because before I had kids I never attended any festivals, carnivals, shows, concerts, etc. but having my babies motivates me to get out and do more. I want them to experience everything, and see, and do, and hear, and smell, well... almost everything! I should post some more pics this week, and after looking at lots of other blogs, have thought about posting a weekly recipe. I have been trying to eat healthier, not just for me but to teach my kids to eat healthier, and have found several really good recipes. In fact I think I will start today, and post a really simple one at the bottom. Here are some random pics of Joseph and Charlotte.

This pic was taken after dinner. Joe and I were sitting on the couch, watching TV and eating a pear for dessert. I loved the lighting, the blue of his eyes and the red pear, so I took a picture. The expression on his face is priceless and quite common.

Here is my sweet baby girl after a bath. Like I say, time and time again, she is so mellow, and cuddly. The only time she seems to get upset, is if she is gassy or I lay her flat after eating to change her diaper, or some other reason, and she is refluxing. Her reflux isn't awful, but I definetly know that it's occurring. (Please, don't mind my spelling) I have tested this theory several times, and I am quite certain that my ingestion of dairy products and caffeine does not agree with her. I can't tell you how much I am craving milk. This didn't seem to be an issue with Joe. As for sleeping through the night, again if I ate something that doesn't agree with her, it is usually 11 or midnight before I can settle her to sleep, but then she will sleep for 4-5 hours, and seems to feel better after the next feed. Naps are hit and miss. And the regiment I use to try and get her on a schedule doesn't always work the way I want, but we are trying.

I have made this oatmeal several times, and instead of cherry jam I use Smuckers Cherry Preserves, which I love. They taste like cherry pie. Anyway, cherries have lots of antioxidants and are comparable to blueberries in nutritional value. Enjoy!
Cherry Vanilla Oatmeal
Ellie Krieger
1 3/4 cups of water
1 cup Old Fashioned oatmeal
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cherry jam
1/4 cup lowfat milk
Put water, oats, salt and cherries into medium size saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and jam. Pour two tablespoons of milk over each bowl. Makes two servings.

No comments: