Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Top Secret Project - Take II: ShAken NoT StiRRed

I learned this fun crafty technique at the "stamp camp" that I went to last Saturday. I had never heard of such a thing, maybe you all have. But the first thing that popped into my head, was that I always see such cute party and cocktail napkins. What fun it would be to transfer the design to cardstock. Not only is it fun, but you have everything you need at home. Let me also say that for clarity I used this blog, the Creative Corner, to reference conrete directions, so if mine aren't clear go see this gal's blog.


Let's begin with a rollcall: Cute cocktail napkin...HERE. Saran Wrap...HERE. Scissors...HERE. Stampin' Up white cardstock...HERE. Two sheets of copier paper...HERE and HERE. Warm iron set to medium-high...HERE.




Another neat thing about doing this is you can get four transfers from one napkin.








Now, when I took this picture I didn't realize this was a 3-ply napkin. So when I went to do the transfer the first time it didn't work, because I had not removed the second layer. What I am saying is make sure you remove all of the bottom layers.




I don't know why, but you will want to cut your cardstock slightly smaller than your napkin.






Next you will trim the Saran Wrap to as close to the size of the cardstock as possible.







But don't freak out if there is some excess around the edges.

I wish I felt the same way about my waist and huge ...well, nevermind.




Now I didn't acknowledge the fact that I am ironing my transfer on top of my trusty spiral bound notebook. Yes, I have an ironing board, but didn't want to drag it out. Besides, the gal at the Stamp Camp used a pad of paper. Now, the layers will go like this...starting from the bottom: pad of paper or iron-able surface, one piece of copier paper, cardstock, Saran wrap, cute napkin, then lastly (we haven't forgot about you buddy) the other piece of copier paper.



The Creative Corner suggested using a medium heat, mine was set on MAX and Wool, so you will just have to see how your iron is feeling that day. Using firm pressure, iron over the image for 15-20 seconds.




You should be good to go immediately after ironing. I waited a minute or two before I trimmed my edges.


Here you can see where everything had adhered. I think I might frame it and set it in my kitchen window. You know, for times I need some inspiration!

I think I figured out what creates all this dadgum space at the end of my posts. I think it is when I post pictures that have been taken vertically. If that makes any sense...






































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you said sarann wrap I kept thinking "how in the world is this NOT going to stick to the iron. Wow, I get it now. DUH. I'll have to try it. You're so creative. See you tomorrow when Joe gets to meet Charlotte. YIPPEEE.